If you have been in a serious car accident, your life may have changed literally in the blink of an eye. One minute you were on your way to work or to drop off the kids at school, and the next you were horrified to realize another motorist was crashing into you, and very likely sending you the hospital. While even a minor fender bender can cause a serious surge of adrenaline that may cause take hours to subside, a car crash caused by the negligence of others may take a lifetime to get over.
Here are five of the most common injuries sustained after an accident:
- Cuts and contusions – while these are to be expected, especially after a serious accident, some cuts and contusions can be serious enough to require stitches or plastic surgery.
- Sprains and breaks – whiplash is one of the most serious sprains, but car accident injuries may result in more than one area being affected, as well as multiple limbs being broken, and even amputations occurring. Broken arms and legs may also require surgery and physical therapy afterward.
- Head injuries – both serious concussions and traumatic brain injuries can be an unfortunate result of a car crash or other serious blows to the head. Sometimes they are not apparent initially; in the case of concussions, however, most patients are somewhat disoriented and may even have short-term amnesia. Traumatic brain injuries may subside but can result in permanent brain damage causing a long list of challenging and lifelong symptoms.
- Spinal injuries – extremely common to car accidents, spinal injuries may also lead to lifelong challenges, beginning with herniated discs, spinal fractures, spinal cord injuries, and more. In some cases, car accidents may lead to partial or complete paralysis.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder – this may occur with varying levels of intensity, and even over a moderate accident. The surprise of such an experience, along with a jarring and sudden sense of mortality is extremely upsetting alone. Many who suffer from PTSD may not only be affected by what happened in the accident, they may also dwell on what could have happened if the accident had been worse. Along with that, they are usually dealing with physical injury and property damage too.
If you or a loved one have been in a car accident due to the negligence of others, you may be quickly burdened with medical expenses, emotional trauma, serious pain due to injury, and more. With over 30 years of experience in accident and personal injury practice, we will help you get the compensation you deserve. Speak with a skilled car accident attorney from the offices of H. Lehman Franklin, P.C. Call now to learn more at 912-764-9616, or contact us online.