Bankruptcy debtors, under penalty of perjury, sign and attest to the fact that anything they submit to the U.S. Trustee and U.S. Bankruptcy Court is true and correct. Most bankruptcy debtors are honest and transparent when disclosing their assets, but there are always exceptions. Debtors who commit fraud before or during their bankruptcy case can face serious ramifications, including a denial of discharge, fines, or even a criminal conviction.
The following are some examples of conduct that, if intentional, would likely be considered fraudulent conduct under federal bankruptcy law:
- knowingly making a false statement on the bankruptcy petition, schedules or statements;
- knowingly making a false statement to the bankruptcy trustee at the 341 meeting of creditors;
- not listing an asset on the bankruptcy schedules to prevent it from being liquidated for the benefit of general unsecured creditors or secured creditors;
- concealing a transfer of property that occurred prior to the filing of the bankruptcy case;
- providing a false document to the bankruptcy court or trustee;
- destroying or withholding documents.
To avoid any accusations of fraudulent conduct, potential bankruptcy filers should be prepared to list all income, property, creditors and prior transactions. An experienced bankruptcy attorney like H. Lehman Franklin or Kimberly Ward can help any bankruptcy debtor collect all the information necessary and required to file his or her bankruptcy case.
The capable and dedicated staff at H. Lehman Franklin, P.C. offers quality and capable support to the best legal representation available in the Statesboro and Savannah areas. Why hire just any lawyer to litigate your case when you can retain the services of an attorney with over 50 years of legal experience in the state of Georgia.
Lehman Franklin, P.C. is located at 127 North Main Street in Statesboro, GA (30458). We proudly serve Bulloch County, as well as the surrounding counties of Chatham, Candler, Evans, Bryan, Effingham, Screven, and Jenkins. Contact our office by telephone at 912-764-9616, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or browse our website at hlfranklin.com. We’re available to meet your legal needs Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM until 5:30 PM.